bb7 is looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to work with one of our clients, a consumer products company, on new product development. The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for taking a product concept and developing it into a finished product. He or she must consider the manufacturing processes and materials. The manufacturing process and materials must meet the target cost and margin criteria. Mechanical Design Engineers will use a CAD system extensively. The engineering process is team-based. Several engineers may work on a single product together. Most of the product design work is for injection and blow-molded consumer products. Most assembly is without the use of mechanical fasteners, although metal tubing or similar materials may be used for reinforcement. Some products and manufactured using profile extrusion.
- Develop an overall assembled product design using solid modeling techniques and design best practices based on the approved renderings provided by a senior product designer. Product must meet marketing, product, and cost criteria. Use a PC-based CAD system to complete development.
- Work from the approved industrial design to develop components within the assembly.
- Have working knowledge of finite element analysis so that analysis at various stages of product development can be completed to determine if the design will meet performance criteria.
- Review tooling designs and production methods with the tool engineering group to develop tools for thermoplastic injection molding, blow molding, profile extrusion, stamping and roll forming. Suggest design modifications to improve productivity.
- Review product designs with industrial engineering and automation engineering to ensure that the proper assembly processes and equipment and developed for the product.
- Work with quality assurance department to develop appropriate product test plans for mechanical testing based on design intent.
- Work closely with production and other engineering groups to eliminate problems, improve productivity, and decrease costs during the first production runs.
- Ensure that the product designs meet the packaging intent during packaging development.
- Ensure the product bill of materials and the cost build-up are accurate before the first production run.
- Assist with model and prototype building. These models may be made from materials such as foam core, wood, and plastic. Processes such as RTV molds may be used.
- Evaluate production design and determine materials to be used. Consider factors such as function, production, and cost criteria.
- Stay informed of new technology, methods, and materials within the field.
- Support and comply with all safety policies, quality standards, and housekeeping methods.
- Associate degree in CAD or Engineering plus 8-10 years of experience required. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and 10 years of experience in plastic part design preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to effectively communicate with and respond to questions from managers, engineers, coworkers, and production supervisors. Ability to write memos and letters to vendors.
- Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern algebra, and advanced statistical theory. Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs and theorems.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- This position requires a high degree of computer literacy. The employee must understand file management using Windows platforms. There must be a strong understanding of three-dimensional CAD methods and solid modeling methods. Experience in SolidWorks preferred. Employee must be thoroughly familiar with spreadsheets and be able to use features such as complex formulas and graphing.
- Work Environment – The employee will divide his or her time between an office, a manufacturing facility, and a workshop. Some travel to outside vendors may be required.
bb7 and its Clients are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. We participate in E-Verify.